Sunday, October 26, 2008

Christmas Shoebox Swap!

(ETA: I added the names of the designers of all but 2 of the projects...anyone know their names? Also, a BIG WOOHOO!!! to Andrea and Tasha for organizing this shoebox swap and making it happen!)
Not a lot going on around here today…Jesse left early this morning for a trip to the desert – Nevada desert, that is! Sigh. He was home for a week, now out on the road again; he seems to be home almost long enough to get back into a regular sleep schedule, then off to another part of the world, another time zone. I don’t know how he does it - if I stay up too late, I spend the next 3 days catching up!!!

Lucky for me, on Saturday I didn’t have to stay up late – I paper crafted for over 4 hours with a fab bunch of ladies in the afternoon! My lovely, sleep deprived hubby, stayed home with the kids (while packing for his trip) so I could have this little bit of ‘me’ time! This shoebox swap has been in the works for over a month…if you know me…that’s amazing! I usually don’t plan fun too far ahead…part of the job of being a wife to a very mobile military man is being able to flex those scheduling muscles often!!!

It was just meant to be.

Everything worked out great! I was almost on time Free Smiley Courtesy of www.millan.net and they started a little late, so I didn’t miss a thing! We chatted for a few, partook of the lovely potluck dishes and got to work!

(A shoebox swap is where every participant designs a project and then provides directions and enough ready materials for each participant to make that project. When it's all over, every participant will have made everyone else's project! I don't remember names very well, but I sent an email to the ladies, so I can credit them with their designs - will edit when info is received!)

(Sorry for the not-so-good photos...my camera is in the shop and I had to make do!) There were 12 projects…and I’m going to show you them all (like I said...had to make do with the camera, but IRL (in real life) these projects are gorgeous!!!)

In no particular order…check them out (click on the pictures to enlarge)!


Designed by Meg Reyes
This card is not as difficult as it looks! Can't you just see the possibilities - any holiday, birthdays...the punched circles are suspended with gold cord and how yummy is that wired ribbon?!

Designed by Phyllis Jachowski
This technique is "stained glass" using vellum cardstock. I know it's been a long time since I've colored anything, but this was fun! The cardinal is stamped in Staz On and then colored on the back of the vellum!

Designed by Judy Sankey
This card is so cute! Felicia says, "There are no mistakes in stamping, only embellishment opportunities!" Well, I forgot that craft ink takes longer to dry and after I had cut my ribbon and had started to place it on my card, I noticed that I had gotten the white craft ink all over my fingers and then on that lovely red ribbon! So, I stamped it, too - crisis avoided!

Designed by Donna Way
This picture does not do this card justice!!! One of my fave techniques is heat embossing. There is just something about taking this grainy looking powder and heating it to lovely shimmery goodness!

Designed by Heather Moriyama
This was one of those cards that I thought I knew how to put together, but then realized I had not paid enough attention to the original! The original had the tree on the left, but I was too busy chatting and had already put adhesive on the card when I realized that I didn't punch out the window for the sentiment! When I turned over the cardstock, I saw that the only place clean enough to punch was on the left...thank goodness this wasn't a complicated card - and didn't it turn out so adorable?! (And to top it off, she brought the Sakura Quickie Glue Pen for us to use...been wanting to see one of those for weeks! Check out the glitter on the tree's swirl!)

Designed by Kerry Porter
This was the only card that I didn't complete at the swap - I think 4 hours is about my limit! I did stamp the tree before I left and gathered up the rest of the project, but I couldn't remember how the card was put together...the presents were on this side and cut out and the stars...uh...the ribbon...hmmm. So, I had to figure this one out on my own...those are not black dots on my card pieces...they are really Elegant Eggplant! I just didn't realize how dark the color actually was before I started coloring with it.

Designed by Andrea Nigg
Is this not too cute?! I know you want to run out and eat a box of Altoids right now! I've been telling you that you want to come to Paper Junkies with me...anyhoo...those are glittery tags, red and white string and those oval tags are cardstock stickers!!!

Here's the box closed with the matching belly band.

Designed by Tasha Enderby
I love the patterned paper on this card and the River Rock cardstock (retired SU!) This card was another one that looks more complicated than it is. I keep putting off getting the SU! tag punches, but here's another reason to them on my next order!!!

This was another card with lots of possibilities...sweet way to send a picture! That twisted, red cord is gorgeous! I think I'd like that holly stamp and some dew drops for the berries...

This is the "OMGosh I need that snowflake punch!" box, a.k.a. the Peek-a-boo box! This was another one of those projects that looks super complicated, but when someone else has already cut out the pattern, scored and sliced in the proper places and has only left the creative stamping for you to do...well then it's easy peasy!!!

Yep...I did good! Was so glad that the side gap disappeared after I added some shredded paper and a little something to the inside of the box - I thought I had messed it up! (and now you're going to look at the first picture to see what "gap" I'm talking about, right? lol)

This card held a surprise!

Designed by Chris Treat
Lookie, lookie - a gift pouch! Isn't this great?! This was one of the easiest projects to put together! At first I thought it was some kind of designer paper...but it's stamped!

Designed by Angi (heehee!)
This last card is mine. The sample card had white dots in the middle of the small snowflakes and dew drops down the middle of the top half of the card, but someone took it (you know who you are! bwahahahaha!). I wasn't sure how complicated to make the cards, so I stopped there for the swap. My original card has glitter on the snowflakes and on the reindeer's nose.

Wow! If you read all the way through this post...thank you!!! So, tell me...did you have a favorite?

Stampin' hugs!

Angi

4 comments:

  1. Wow. That's all I can say. They are all gorgeous. My favorite was the silver embossed one. You were busy and I am glad you got a chance for your creative outlet before Jesse left again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to post all the projects from the Shoebox Swap! I absolutely loved your card and the little details you put into it to make it special, from the shimmer white paper to the "dew drop" buttons. We'll definitely have to do another swap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi The cards a great.I was a demonstrator until this past Dec when I didnt send in my military paperwork.I just let time pas by and getting ready to move here wasnt thinking about it.I would like to sign back up and saw your blog.Would it be okay to sign under you or do you know someone who I could.I was signed up before for 6 years.My family and I just moved here in Aug and My husband works at ramstein.Please let me know and thank you. Cynthia Smith rando592@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and visit! I read all of the comments and appreciate your thoughts. May all your Mayhem be crafty messes...inky hugs!