Sunday, March 4, 2012

Great Impressions Challenge March - Something Handmade

Happy Sunday! So glad you could stop by...

front of sachet
Today's feature is my project for Great Impressions' Challenge #1 - Something Handmade! This challenge is open to everyone! If you're here to see how I made my project read on...

If this is the first you've heard of the challenge, visit ** this Great Impression post ** to see all of the Design Team projects and then click on back and let me know what you think!

This has been a whirlwind week! I've changed jobs and have found myself around the house more...and I'm lovin' it! Of course, being around the house more means I find more things to do around here...like cleaning out closets and drawers. And that leads to...

Coming up with some creative projects to help make this house more of a home! My to-do list is miles long...so we're starting small.

Sachets.

There's definitely something homey about sachets - tiny pretty parcels evoking olfactory memories.

Huh?

You know...how smells can help you remember an event, something or someone? The smell of warm chocolate chip cookies reminds me of baking with my mother. The smell of Butter Rum pipe tobacco reminds me of my grandfather. Cedar reminds me of home. If I need a pick-me-up I make cookies or sachets. (You didn't think I was going to say smoke a little Butter Rum, did ya? lol)

I've usually made cedar sachets out of scraps of fabric and lace, but when this challenge project came to mind I was thinking stamped, cute and paper-based. And isn't that adorable *skunk stamp just perfect?

So, without further ado, the supplies I used for this project (feel free to substitute with whatever you have on hand) :

Clean Filter (Can be used, just make sure to rinse well and dry flat. I used round, unbleached.)
Great Impressions Stamps: *Skunk (E751), Lacey Border (H225), Friends (E748)
Range Archival Ink: Jet Black
Tim Holtz Perfect Pearl Mist: Pearl
Copics: RV21, FV2, FYG2
Signo White Gel Pen
12-16" Ribbon

Aromatic Filler: cotton balls scented with spray, cedar shavings, dried herbs, etc.

Sewing machine & thread

Here are the simple details:

1. Spritz filters with water and let dry flat. (Or if you don't want to wait - dry 'em with a heat gun.)

filters: (l-r) Dried, Wet, Out of the Package
 2. Fold the filter into quarters (fold it in half, then half again.) Trim into a square/rectangle. (No need to be precise. I just snipped the first one. Here I've written approximate measurements.)


3. Cut the rectangle in half. Using the Archival Ink, stamp your images for the front and the back. Mist both pieces with Pearl to give a little shimmer. Color with Copics and use the Signo for white details. (I mostly dabbed on my color, waited till it finished wicking and then dabbed on more color as needed.)



4. Fold the top of both the front and back pieces to the inside about 1/2". Place ribbon between (wrong sides together) and sew across. Then sew each side. Fill and then sew closed.


5. Tie the sachet over the closet rod, a hanger or the review mirror. Enjoy your lovely bit of aromatherapy!

back of sachet ("Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.")

Thanks for spending a part of your day with me. See you soon!

Inky hugs,
Angi

(The Skunk stamp is one of Great Impressions' Stamp of the Month stamps. It's only available from participating retailers until April. To order your own Skunk click HERE.)

No comments: